DMI Legacy Fund
Nearly 40 years ago, four civic leaders (who were on the Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors at the time) began a conversation focused on what needed to be done about Madison’s downtown. It was a time of urban sprawl and downtown Madison was suffering. These four people knew that if the downtown decayed it would negatively affect the entire city. Their discussion led to the eventual formation of Downtown Madison, Inc. (DMI).
The Legacy Fund allows businesses, friends, and families to recognize those who have contributed over and above to the health and growth of DMI. Donations can be made at any level to honor an individual, a company or a group that has committed time/work to the betterment of downtown Madison. These generous contributions will honor our founders dedication to downtown and will keep their legacy alive by funding research, special projects, grant writing and staff training at the discretion of the DMI Board—all to enhance our effectiveness in implenting our mission to sustain and grow a healthy and vital downtown Madison!
The four visionaries at the time were: Bob O’Malley, President of (then) United Bank & Trust (passed away May 30, 2014), Bob Schmitz, President of the Hub Men’s Clothing Store (passed away June 27, 2013), Don Hovde, President of Hovde Realty, Inc. (passed away February 8, 2002) and Don Helfrecht, CEO of Madison Gas & Electric. They created the vision/foundation that continues to drive the work of DMI today and it is for that reason DMI has established a Legacy Fund in their names.
Legacy Fund Donors:
- The family of Bob O’Malley in the name of Bob O'Malley
- The family of Bob Schmitz in the name of Bob Schmitz
- Virginia Rogers, sister of Bob Schmitz in the name of Bob Schmitz
- The family of Don Hovde in the name of Don Hovde
- Janine Punzel in the name of Don Hovde
- Madison Gas & Electric in the name of Don Helfrecht
- Michael Best & Friedrich in the name of Matt Carlson, DMI Board Chair 2013-14
- Steve Brown Apartments in the name of Steve Brown
- J.H. Findorff & Son in the name of Rich Lynch, DMI Board Chair 2003-04
- Friends of Dick Wagner in the name of Dick Wagner
To make a donation to the DMI Legacy Fund, please contact Carol Ann Hewitt, DMI Director of Development at 608-512-1335 or firstname.lastname@example.org